Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2015

Keep Calm and Teach Economics

This week in class, we studied the topic of economics. The first thing that came to my mind when I heard this was the memories of my high school economics teacher and his cheesy phrase that he'd always say: "I'm supply and you're de-man!" I didn't learn much in that class, but I always knew that economics was mainly associated to money and business. To elaborate on how to teach this topic, my classmates and I contributed to a class PowerPoint on economics. This activity was very interesting to receive the chance to research a very broad topic and discover ways of incorporating economics into the classroom setting. One example, that stood out to me, was the idea of a classroom market. Students can receive class cash by completing assignments, good grades, or being helpful in the classroom. After receiving a certain amount of cash, students can cash their money in at the class market where they can either receive a classroom reward coupon or a small prize or treat of sorts. This is great motivation for students to continue to work as hard as they can. Please view my class' PowerPoint on Economics and all of the wonderful parts of it that is super important to teach to students. The PowerPoint also includes terrific ways to introduce these topics to students in a fun and engaging way. Please also see the following video that demonstrates a classroom market in action!


No comments:

Post a Comment