Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Why do I do this?

I was seven years old on Christmas day 2002. I was old enough not to believe in Santa Claus but young enough to be too excited to fall asleep the night before. That morning, I opened my eyes and popped out of bed. I ran into my parents’ room and I shouted “Its Christmas! Let’s go open presents!” They slowly got out of bed and still half-asleep followed my brother and me as we raced down the steps. I opened all the smaller presents, while anxiously eyeing the large, brightly wrapped box that caught my eye when I first walked down the steps. When it came time, I ripped off all the paper and underneath it was a school teacher play set which came equipped with a paper clock with moveable arms, dry erase sheets, certificates, a chalkboard, chalk, and nametags. It was a gift that would unknowingly influence my future.
               My first students were only family but none-the-less it was a great opportunity to be able to teach them something they had never learned before. It’s hard to put into words witnessing their emotion when they finally “got it”. This ignited my passion for helping and teaching younger children, and I involved myself with teaching related activities since.
Since 7th grade I’ve volunteered as a camp counselor at many different camps. These camps included Camp Invention, Vacation Bible School, and Summer Recreation. Working every day with the same group of kids taught me leadership and responsibility qualities.
In 9th grade, I began assisting my dance teacher teach the kindergarten and 1st grade class. The first day was overwhelming, but I realized preparation was key to good instruction.  After the first day’s struggles, things became easier. I began organizing the kids, starting the warm ups, and helping out anytime I could. It was so fulfilling to see the kids smile, laugh and have fun while learning their dance.
As a tutor, I help kids succeed. I help prepare them for tests and quizzes, usually, math. I meet with their teachers beforehand to prepare for the session. I use visual aids and extra practice worksheets to aid them. It’s an amazing feeling the moment they understand a topic and complete a problem without difficulty. I enjoy their satisfaction when they come back with a quiz that has a good grade on it.

To this day, I still have a passion to teach. The life of a teacher could be overwhelming and stressful, but I want it—I know the intrinsic rewards greatly outweigh the struggles. I want to be the one to help people, to help enrich their lives with learning, and become well rounded young adults. Ever since that 2002 Christmas morning I have been determined to achieve my goal to become an educator. It will be a long road, but I look forward to the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment